The ABC Race game is a fast paced game that helps kids practice writing the alphabet while thinking fast. It works great with beginning learners but can also be a good refresher for more advanced students.
THE ABC RACE GAME
Target English: writing the alphabet
Things You Need: 2 pieces of paper, 2 different colored crayons/pencils/markers
Age: 4 or older
English Level: low-high (must be able to write the alphabet)
1. Divide the class into two teams and have them line up at the starting point.
2. Place the paper and pencils across the room at the “goal” point.
3. When the teacher says “Go!”, the first student in the line runs to the paper and writes the letter A. The teacher should specify whether they are writing upper or lower case (or both!)
4. When the student finishes writing the letter, they run back to their team and tag the next member. That student must run to the paper and write B.
Make sure that only the student who is writing is past the start line. Students have a tendency to get excited here and try to rush forward ahead of their turn.
6. After both teams have finished writing, gather all of the students together to review what they have written. Make sure that they included all letters and that they are properly written. You can declare a winning team based on a combination of speed and accuracy.
- If students are new to writing, try to place the papers somewhere where they can see the alphabet in case they cannot remember what comes next or how to write it.
- If you have a student who cannot run for some reason, you can play this game by having the two teams sit in a line and pass the paper down the line. When it gets to the last student, make sure that the paper is passed back to the first student in line instead of having all of the students in the middle get an extra turn.
Hope you and your kids have fun with this game.